Destiny or Choice?

Every one of us, at some point in our childhood said, "When I grow up, I want to be…" 

Growing up, I went through many, "I want to be," including teacher, singer, dancer, artist, and so on…but above all, I wanted to be a chemist. I am very close with my dad, and spent the majority of my childhood with him in his laboratory, concocting different cosmetic formulations. His love of chemistry is what inspired me to take interest in chemistry. 

When I was 12, my dad bought me my first chemistry book; I was excited, but the book was in Russian, and at the time, I could not read in Russian. Nevertheless, I still held on to it! During my undergrad years, I even pursued a minor in chemistry while majoring in business, because I believed that somewhere along the line I would end up in the laboratory. 

At 19, I accepted an internship with 1-800-Flowers, which, surprise, surprise, had nothing to do with chemistry. Meanwhile, I was learning everything there was to learn about the professional beauty industry. 


By 21, I had earned my master's degree in business. At the time, I was super excited to be a 21 year old with a graduate degree; I felt young, smart, and full of energy. The world was my oyster and I was going to conquer it… but little did I know just how much I didn’t know about the professional realm; I began to feel that much further away from becoming a laboratory chemist. 

It was after graduate school that I realized chemistry wasn't my true calling. Unlike my dad, I was not “meant to be in the lab.” I enjoyed contributing my ideas for new beauty products, but I wanted to share in the energy of what we were creating, and so I decided to become an esthetician. 

Being an esthetician is a very personal and energy-spiritual experience for me. I feel that not only am I making a difference in someone’s appearance, but I am also bringing them to a happier, more balanced state through the exchange of energy and physical contact. 

My philosophy as an esthetician does not center only on the treatment, but includes the entire body and mind meditation experience. I never feel that I am solely performing a facial or a body treatment or any of the other services I offer; I feel that I am meditating and transferring positive energy using my hands and my mind. 

It feels especially rewarding when clients come to me stressed or overwhelmed by their life situations and leave relaxed and balanced after their treatment. I remember one client in particular, who always uses this line on her way out, “I will float home now.” 

Throughout my life, my choices have led me down various micro paths that were merely branches off the same tree, all leading to the same grand road: the beauty industry. 

Growing up, I thought I was born to be a chemist…just like my dad. But as I got older and discovered more about myself, I was able to differentiate between my passions, my hobbies, and my true calling. 

So here’s some food for thought: Are you destined to do what you do? Did you simply choose it? Is it a combination of both? Or are you still just working and building up to your purpose?

Comments